Monday, April 24, 2006

Can Someone Explain This to Me? Part II

So awhile ago I posted a comment about the infamous Danish cartoons and got a few comments from a certain individual. Now in setting up this blog I chose to have control over what comments get published (it is my space technically).
This individual was of the mindset that both cartoons that I selected were fine I responded to his first comment and he sent another one I didn't publish the last of his comments then but here it is now:

"no, i'm saying that's it's perfectly fine to mock both.

both should be published and circulated freely.. freedom of speech, no?

ps. i do understand the teachings of jesus, believe me, i spent years studying them."


I like freedom of speech it allows this public debate I am not denying him the freedom to speak his mind. I am however limiting the places he (just a side note I don't actually know the gender of the commentor I am only assume it is male)can post his speech... Is that not my right?

Let me first say that the only reson I didn't post his comment was that I felt that nothing further was added to the debate. He claimed to have studied the teachings of Jesus for 'years'. He raised the issue of freedom of speech. But with freedom comes responsibility. Because I have the freedom to do something does that mean I should? For many years I travelled with a public speaking team and one part of the message we delivered dealt with freedom. To start the topic we would try toi get our audience to imagine a bird because a bird has a freedom that we don't ... they can fly. Sure we have planes but a bird can fly where it wants when it wants (and for free.) That is amazing freedom. Now imagine a bird one day decides that since it has the Freedom of Flight it can fly where it wants when it wants so it decides to fly through an office window one problem glass is hard the bird will have a very sore face! Yes birds are free to fly where ever within certain limitations. Freedom is only true freedom when there are self imposed limits.

Back to the cartoons:
- Islam does encourage suicide bombers
- Paradise is said to have virgins waiting for martyrs of a Jihad
- Muslims are blowing themselves up and being praised

- Jesus does not preform oral sex on pigs!

Since then I have received another comment from him:
"thank you so much for moderating my last comment away.. it only reinforces my opinion that if "christians" don't like your point of view, they can just ignore it! don't worry, i'm sure that you will not allow this comment to be posted either. so thank you, once again, for showing me why i'm just SO pleased that i'm not a "christian" like you"
I also am glad that you are not a "Christian" like me I still have a long way to go before I am 'like Christ'.
But yes Christians tend to have a very strong desire to accept only a few view points actually only one ...Jesus'. Why? maybe because Jesus Himself said "I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." It is not my opinion that matters but His.

If I was to stand up and say homosexuality is a sin what am I called? a homophobe.
If I was to stand up and say abortion is a sin what am I called? intolerant of womens rights
If I was to stand up and say Christ is the only way to God What am I called? intolerant of other religions

Before I go on can I just apologize first for the individuals who are extremists on these issues (those who hold signs like "God hates fags" and those who kill abortionists) they do represent Christ and I truly apologize for their actions and ask forgiveness from any who have been personally hurt by their actions.


Christians aren't only ignored in the public arena they are belittled and mocked openly how is this tolerant and respecting freedom of speech?
By definition a homophobe would be someone who is afraid of homosexuals. I am not afraid. Do I disagree with their actions? Yes. Homosexuality is a sin just like murder and lying. Homosexuals are in need of a savior just as I am in need of a savior. Jesus was an atonement for all sin. Mine may not be as obvious but it is just as offensive to God.

Politically I lean towards the right My assuption is that this commentor leans toward the left. I have observed over the years that any debate from the left about these controversial issues becomes a name calling session ... intolerant, racist, homophobe.

Tolerance is being able to say I don't agree with you by I still accept you as a person NOT I will accept your posistion as true.

3 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Blogger vicki said...

Great post!The reactions will be interesting.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said...

Excellent post. I was reading your earlier one about the cartoon debate. The reason that the cartoons about Allah have created such a stir is because people by and large are afraid of the extemists' reactions. So they all cower, and pay homage to the outrage.

Christians don't go around killing people when they've been wronged, so it is open season; in fact it's fashionable to mock Christianity. I don't like it, but that's the way it seems to be.

And yes, you have every right to control the comments on your board.

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GET A LIFE!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home